Sunday, February 8, 2015

Hazelnut Coconut Milk

I love nut milks.  Since I have started making them myself these last few months, I actually now prefer my home made nut milks in my morning lattes over cow's milk or boxed nut milks.  

I had been making almond-hazelnut milk for a few months, and decided to try something new.  This latest combination is my new favourite and a go-to every morning for my latte.  


Making nut milk is easy and really just takes minutes.  I think the hardest part, is actually remembering to soak your nuts BEFORE running of nut milk from a previous batch you would have made.

So the first step to this recipe is to soak 3/4 cup of hazelnuts for 3 hours (or overnight). After they have soaked, drain them and rinse them well with fresh cold water -- no need to remove the skins.


Next measure out 1/4 cup of unsweetened shredded coconut.


Add 5 cups of fresh water to a high-powered blender along with the soaked nuts and the coconut (do not pre-soak the coconut).


Turn the blender on high for 2 minutes.


While the blender is doing its thing, place a nut milk bag over a large pitcher.


Once the 2 minutes is up, pour the mixture through the bag, and let the milk filter through.  I like hanging mine from the cupboard and just letting it slowly drain.  Patience is a bit of a virtue here, but you don't have to babysit it while it's draining.


You can use the strained nut milk as it, but I like to do a second straining through a fine-mesh reusable coffee filter.  I find the nut milk lasts longer by doing this additional filtering step.


Pour the strained nut milk through the coffee filter to take out any small pieces that may have remained from the first straining (via the bag).


Pour the finished milk into glass jars for storage!  This recipe makes about 1L of nut milk and lasts for about 4 days....if you can manage keep it around that long!!  


Enjoy!! I highly recommend it in a latte.  Mmmmm, soooo gooooood!!!!  


It also tastes great in smoothies!  











No comments:

Post a Comment